A World Away

Friday, August 08, 2014

Sometimes I hate modern culture. We find ourselves caught up in decoding sub-tweets and analyzing our SnapChat top friends instead of doing something useful with our time. It's a time where followers and likes seem to mean more than real friendships. People speak in Urban Dictionary vernacular instead of proper English and have no idea how to use correct grammar. "Oh yeah, Joe and I are talking" What the hell does "talking" even mean these days? It should mean carrying out a conversation but it could mean texting or hanging out or even causally hooking up. No one is ever straightforward with what they mean or say.

Sometimes I wish I was born in a different era, perhaps a time way back in England. I could spend my time wearing ballgowns, attending boring teas, having boys write love letters not text messages and having to sneak out of my window at night to see them because it was improper for a lady to be seen out late at night with a guy without a chaperone.

Sometimes I think I read too much.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I completely agree with you. Our culture has completely skewed what it means to "communicate", and it makes me crazy. The irony is that most of the people I communicate with are on social media, since I am a blogger. A necessary evil, I suppose. I found your blog via the Her Campus Blogger Network facebook page :) Can't wait to start following your blog. http://www.adventuresofnobleandpond.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *