Why Being 21 Isn't All It's Made To Be

Monday, July 13, 2015

Turning 21 is a big deal: you can legally drink and no longer have the fear of not being able to get into a club or being asked to leave a pub or a bar when the night rolls around... unless you're one of the few {like me} that are look like you hardly can pass for 19 let alone 21.


Lets set the scene: A Saturday night in Milwaukee, on Water Street but in this specific case: Trinity Three Irish pubs. Music is blasting, people are outside dancing in their drunken splendor, mingling with friends and new acquaintances and having an overall grand time. My friends and I walk up to Trinity and I am pumped. Trinity was the only place I wanted,  needed to go. The last time I was there it was easily the most fun bar of the night and I was dying to drink enough to build up my dance skills and dance with friends. 

We walk up to the bar (Foy) and of course I'm the first one in line of my friends. I show the bouncer my ID, standard procedure, when suddenly he asks to see another form of ID. This is strange, I think. Carrying only a small purse, the only other forms of ID I have include my credit/debit card, a potowatomi account card, my vision prescription from the eye doctor and some VS Pink Nation gift cards. The bouncer says my credit/debit cards will work so I show him. He studies these cards like he's looking for gold in them, it takes what feels like forever. Finally he turns to me and says "I'm sorry, these cards are fake. I somewhat politely say "excuse me?" He then tries to tell me that since the numbers of the card are not raised then the card must be fake" and takes my LEGAL, OF AGE, 21 YEAR OLD ID and puts it in his pocket because it is a "fake". I'm getting pretty pissed right now because my actual ID was just taken from me. I say something along the lines of "am I being freaking punk'd right now?" and the bouncer says if I want it back I can go talk to the police officer just a few feet away.

Let's step away from the scene here and discuss.
  1. I'm legally 21. I have the Facebook posts and Instagram collages to prove it. This should not be happening. 
  2. A fake debit card and credit card...lol what? Do underage kids really take it that far to create such things to get into a bar? If you're that desperate, I'm sure your parents have a liquor cabinet... just go browse in there.
Back to the story. 

I reluctantly walk over to the cop. I tell him my story. I show him my cards and even my bank statement if he wants to see it to show that I just bought a drink a the bar that was literally around the corner. At this time, all my friend have successfully made it into Trinity. I am insanely jealous because they are probably sipping on drinks and getting down on the dance floor while I'm stuck outside like some underager that was busted.  I call Nicole, she says "call your mom." My only response is "but I showed them my debit card." I go back to the cop. The cop agrees to talk to the bouncer and at least look at my ID (which remind you has been confiscated even though it's not a fake - lowkey still fuming about this) 

The cop walks up to the bouncer and asks whats up? The asshole , I mean bouncer tells him all about my alleged fake ID. He hands it over at the cop for a closer look. The cop inspects it. "This is a real ID," he announces, "I can tell because a fake ID usually just sits in a drawer and is only used to go out to the bar so it keeps its glossy finish. This ID has clearly been used before" (Lets not forget it also says "under 21 until May 6th 2015 which is a date that has passed us. Oh yeah, and it is not a fake..). I'm now beaming and shooting pissed off glances at the bouncer.  I chime in, "also, I wouldn't have used such an ugly picture if I was getting a fake!" My picture is awful, I'm mid laugh. The bouncer just stares at us. "I'm sorry but the debit card and credit card are fake, I can't let you in," he says. WHAT. Once again, I offer to pull up my bank statements and show him. He's not having in, just keeps saying no. At this point I'm just pissed so I walk away so I won't say anything to lose my cool and sound unladylike

I finally am able to get my friends out. We go next door to The Harp and what do you know : THE ID WORKS. How crazy since it is a legal and real form of identification. The Harp kind sucks and they played shitty music. Trinity would have been more fun but the whacked out situation prevented us from knowing.





 I'm not going to a Trinity Bar for a long time after this experience. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *