50 Shades of Underwhelmed

Friday, July 25, 2014

Yesterday the much awaited trailer for 50 Shades of Grey was released. Most of the response I saw was all positive minus the fact that viewers have to wait until Valentines day - I see what you did there, movie release people, giving single girls everywhere a little excitement on their Valentines Day, well played. But unlike most people that I know I am extremely underwhelmed. If I hadn't read the books my views might totally be different but as an avid reader I had to read the book everyone was talking about. To be honest when I first started reading 50 Shades I had no idea what I was getting myself into. All of a sudden the red room of pain appears in chapter 9 and woah, uh I was not expecting that at all. Part of me wanted to stop reading but I needed to know what happened next. Naturally I read all three in a week, no shame. Once you get past all the kinky fun those two have I swear the plot is good. Now back to the movie, underwhelmed. I think the disappointment first starts for me with the casting. I am positive that these are great actors and actresses but they are not what I pictured at all. Let's start with Ana. In the trailer, during the office interview you hear Ana say something like "well just look at me." Okay, I understand Ana had some self esteem issues especially when she was around the presumed god like Christian and all his beautiful blonde coworkers but I also don't believe that was something she said or would say in that scene. I could be wrong but that was my take on her character. She lacked confidence but knew how to fake it till she makes it in front of most people. Moving on to Christian Grey. This is so difficult to criticize but I am underwhelmed by him. I mean no disrespect to the actor but he is nothing near the Mr. Grey I had envisioned. I know the movie is usually never anything like what you pictured in your head but honestly I don't find him to be that crazy, attractive man that Christian was described as. By no means is he ugly, but he's not my Christian. What I was impressed with is the Beyonce in the background to set the scene. They nailed that. Overall I just wasn't bursting with desire to see this movie after viewing the trailer.  If you haven't seen the trailer feel free to watch below and leave a comment with your thoughts on the trailer, the book or both!


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. i was disappointing too. I hoped Alexis Bledel for Anna and Matt Bommer or Ian Somehandler for Christian. I believe that the trailer can be understand just by people hwo actually read the book. I read them in a week too, but i am not waiting for the movie to come out.
    This is a great review about the trailer and i agree with it!
    xo
    Orly
    http://coffeebeansandhighheels.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *