Surviving Finals 101

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The end of the school year is easily the most stressful time of the year. There are group meetings to be had, presentations and speeches to be given, and endless note cards to be made. I'll be the first to admit that I lose my mind with all the stuff I have to do before the semester ends. Here are my suggestions on how to survive finals. 


1. Coffee: Or anything with caffeine: coffee, soda, energy drinks, pick your poison.  If you're going to be staying up late you might as well get some caffeine in you so you don't find yourself falling asleep at your desk. I'm sure people out there would disagree, caffeine is so bad for you, blah blah but that's cool, we are all entitled to our own opinions anyway. There are many different delicious caffeinated drinks out there, so here are my recommendations.
  • Starbucks: If you're not a totally broke college student or have some gift cards laying around, I suggest a Venti Iced Hazelnut Macchiato. It taste sweet so the full on coffee-in-the-morning boldness doesn't hit you and it's iced so it's refreshing! 
  • Homemade Cappuccino: My Grandma makes the best recipe for a homemade cappuccino. It's some special blend of coffees, hot chocolate, sugar and some other things to create a magical drink. You can find a similar recipe here
  • Sugar Free Red Bull: I know it's bad for you, like really bad, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.
  • Vanilla Coke: I'm a Diet Coke girl but recently I have rediscovered the wonderfulness that is Vanilla Coke. It used to be discontinued but we found it at a grocery store in Green Bay - Jackpot! So try it out, it is delicious 
2. A Good Playlist: Every study session needs some killer music to create a good vibe. I listen to all different kinds of music but I have certain genres or artists that I listen to for certain assignments. 
  • Time To Focus: If I'm writing a paper that requires my absolute attention (usually like a research paper not just a regular writing assignment) I use my "Focus" playlist on Spotify. This playlist includes artist such as John Mayer, Mozella, Kodaline, Florence + The Machine, Jack Johnson, Frou Frou, and The Fray just to name some. This playlist entitled Simplicity  is full of pretty, relaxing music that serves as good background music when your homework needs all of your attention. 
  • Other Artists I Enjoy: Arctic Monkeys, Imagine Dragons, Bastille, Sublime With Rome, Ballyhoo, The Dirty Heads, and various rap artists.
3. Good Snacks: Most people will tell you you need some healthy, brain stimulation food but honestly eat what you want. If you want candy, or whatever, go for it. Eat something that makes you happy because you will probably be really annoyed with all the procrastination that is now catching up to you.

4. A Reward:  When you're swamped with assignments you probably haven't had time to Netflix binge on your new favorite show or go workout or whatever it is that you like to do in your free time. Use that as a reward for when you get some work  done. I usually allow myself some time on Tumblr or watching one episode of New Girl when I finish some assignments. It gives me motivation to keep working and to get my stuff done quicker. 

5. An Outlet: Chances are you are going to get super frustrated, at least I do.You need some kind of way to let your frustration out so that you don't get flustered while doing your work. There are many different ways to vent and get into a clear mind. 
  • A Nap: A nice power nap is always a great way to forget your frustrations! But only take a nap if you have time otherwise you might find yourself struggling for time to get your work done
  • Go Running: Honestly, nothing gets my mind clear like going for a run. Blast good music into your ears and literally run from your problems. You will feel focused (and a little tired) after but it is a great way to get your thoughts in the right place!
  • Vent To A Friend: A good friend will always let you come to them to vent. No explanations needed. Go on a quick trip to get coffee or fro-yo and talk it out. 
  • Write: Another thing I do when I'm really feeling any kind of way is write. Just write what's on your mind. This doesn't work for everyone because not everyone enjoys writing. 
  • The Frozen Soundtrack: Blare the soundtrack to Frozen, or really any Disney movie and sing along. Seriously a good stress reliever. "Love is an open dooooor...."
And just remember: Keep Calm And Carry On. You can and will survive finals and be rewarded with a fantastic summer! Happy studying! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *