It's Not A 'Goodbye',Cheerleading, It's 'A See You Later'

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

When I was young ... I remember watching my neighbor's cheerleading showcase at the high school. It was the first time I had seen actual cheerleading, not just the stuff in movies or on TV. After watching the team throw each other high in the air and tumble with ease, I knew that someday I wanted to be like them.

When I was in elementary school.. I remember the high school cheerleaders came into our classroom to talk to the girls about the Jr. Indians Cheer Program. From the moment I received their handout, I knew that I wanted to join. I remember that first Jr. Indians cheer practice. I didn't know how many times it was acceptable to roll my Soffee shorts or  exactly how to do a proper high-v but from the moment that practice started, I was hooked.

When I was in 8th grade... I had my first actual cheerleading tryout. With a timid smile and only a round-off to show as my tumbling skill, I was nervous. Luckily, we all made the team and that year launched my official obsession with cheerleading. I remember trying to fall asleep at night, envisioning myself  doing round-off back handsprings across the gym - there was nothing I wanted more than that skill. Being the last of my sisters to master the skill, I promised myself I would work harder to be the first of us to get more advanced skills.

When I was in 9th grade... I landed my first standing tuck. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Four of us decided to just throw the skill after coaching Jr. Indians and like magic we all landed. From then on, I knew I could achieve any goal I had in cheerleading.

When I was in high school... I was 100% in a committed relationship with cheerleading. Cheer was where the majority of my friends were, competition days were the best days of the year, and cheerleading was where I made all of my lasting memories.

When I was in college... I spent the majority of time at cheer practice, cheering at games or at cheer related events. Although it took up so much of my time, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. The skills we did were different than what I was used to in high school so I constantly strived to improve myself. Even after suffering a season ending injury early in my freshman year, I continued to push myself to reach my full potential.

Tonight is the last time I will probably ever walk into a practice with the title "cheerleader." This weekend brings cheer tryouts for our school which means the current cheer season will be over and my time as a cheerleader will be done. It's crazy to think that after 11 years spent in a cheerleading uniform, on the sidelines of sporting events and with a bow in my hair, I won't ever do those things as a cheerleader again. But the thing about a passion is that it never dies. If you're truly passionate about something, it stays with you forever so I know that someway, somehow, my time being involved with cheerleading is not over. Maybe I'll be a coach, maybe I'll be judging competitions, whatever the case I know cheerleading will always be a part of my life.

It's not a goodbye, cheerleading, it's a see you later.





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *