It's Funny The Way Life Works

Monday, May 09, 2016

This weekend, we graduate from college. That seems crazy. I didn't know four years could go by so quickly but here we are, savoring our last few days as college students. As I write this, my only post-grad plans are to teach cheerleading camps and clinics. Hopefully that will change and I'll get the job of my dreams before I graduate but I'm almost okay knowing that I have no idea what will happen after graduation. Why is that? It seems that the plans I have for myself always change, usually for the better, so I'm almost okay with not knowing my plan. It's funny the way life works.

When I was researching and applying to colleges, UW-Green Bay wasn’t even on my radar. Sure, I knew about the school since it’s where my brother attended but I never really considered going there. My dad kept suggesting Green Bay but being the stubborn girl I am, I wanted to do the opposite of what my parents wanted. Not so much because I was rebel of some sort but because this was my decision and I didn’t want to be influenced by anyone. Where did I see myself? I thought I’d be at either at the University of Minnesota so I could be in a big city and get to cheer on one of the greatest all-girl cheer teams or living life big in downtown Milwaukee at Marquette University. The stars did not align in those ways, though, and I ended up making the decision to attend UWGB for the fall of 2012. After looking back, I can say this is was a great choice. Is it the biggest party school? No. Is it in the middle of a big city? No. Does it have a nationally ranked cheer team? No. It was almost everything opposite of what I thought I wanted yet I love it much more than I thought possible.  The opportunities I’ve gotten here I don’t think I would have gotten at any other university and I would have never met the people I now call my best friends. It's funny the way life works. 

When I was younger (I’m talking real young), I didn’t understand the hype about football. Every weekend my family would gather in their green and gold to watch the Packers game and I wanted nothing to do with it. Football and the Packers were silly and I didn’t understand what the big deal was. No way was I going to sit down religiously every game day to watch some four hour football game. As I got involved in cheerleading in middle school, I slowly learned the game of football and began to like it. Cheering for football was one of my favorite parts of high school cheerleading. When college rolled around I now found myself on the sidelines cheering for those Green Bay Packers I once wanted nothing to do with. It's funny the way life works. 

I remember at the end of my senior year my cheer coach suggested that us seniors tryout for UCA Staff. No way, I thought, I can't possibly be that peppy all day long. I thought I'd constantly have to fight a smile and I could not be as energetic and excited as the UCA staff instructors. Well what do you know that four years after thinking I couldn't do it I have now completed my second summer with UCA. Being a staff instructor is the most rewarding job I have ever had. Every day at camp I get to share my passion for cheerleading and help cheerleaders develop their own love for the sport. The smile I thought I would have to fake all day is the most genuine smile in the world. There isn't one moment on staff that I am not enjoying my job. It's funny the way life works out. 

All of these examples make me think back to all the things I said I'd never do. It seems to be in my fate to do things I originally had never planned on doing so who knows what my future holds. It just goes to show that although you may think you know exactly how your life will play out, things are always changing and you might be consistently surprised at the things you end up doing. The way life works out really ends up so different than anything you have imagined. Although the unknown future is scary, it's also exciting to see what unexpected things the world has in store for me.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *